08/20/2018Months Days Hours
Inclusion and diversity conference
Students with Educational Needs
ACHPER WA is proud to present our first Inclusion and Diversity conference. Our mission is to support teachers in the education of physical activity to ALL children, including those with special needs.
This diverse conference will suit PE teachers interacting with SEN students, Special Needs Education Assistants, and Teachers who are interested in identifying and supporting children with motor issues.
The day will feature one stream, which will include:
– How to support children with motor issues to engage in physical activity
– Creating links between special needs and mainstream staff to develop a good understanding of the roles of Education Support Staff in classes
– Demonstration Class: Adapting a Physical Education lesson for Special Needs Students: Ideas for scaffolding Physical Education lessons for students with special needs
– Using SEN as an effective reporting tool and highlighting the positive impact of health and physical education on the individual student’s journey;
– Integration of special needs students with mainstream via the medium of sport; Use of year 11 and 12 students, carnival integration and the history of including SN students with mainstream in sporting activities.
– NEW SESSION! Social Inclusion for All – an overview of social inclusion, frameworks, inclusion vs participation, Social Role Valorization, and case studies.
This event is sure to sell out fast, so please register early. Maximum 40 participants!
Dr Siobhan ReidUWA
Siobhan is a Senior Lecturer and a current BrightSpark Fellow in the School of Human Sciences and UWA. She has over 15 years experience in 3D clinical biomechanics, specialising in understanding the movement of children with neurodevelopmental disorders. Siobhan is a Senior Lecturer in Paediatric Exercise Rehabilitation, is a Director of the UWA Paediatric Exercise Programs, and serves on the Board of the Australasian Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine.
Jenna AllomesLeeming Education Support Centre
Jenna is a Phys Ed teacher at Leeming SHS Education Support Centre. She will be presenting on adapting Phys Ed for Special Needs Students with ideas for scaffolding lessons.
Mark HunterHalls Head College
Mark is the Head of HPE at Halls Head College in WA. His presentation will include the integration of special needs students with mainstream via the medium of sport. The session will include the use of year 11 and 12 students, carnival integration and the history of including SN students with mainstream in sporting activities.
Sue HardyHalls Head College
Sue Hardy is a Health & Physical Education Teacher at Halls Head college. Her sessions will include using SEN as an effective reporting tool and highlighting the positive impact of health and physical education on the individual student's journey. She will also present how to create links between special needs and mainstream staff.
Ciara Cooney & Denver D’CruzInclusion Solutions WA
Ciara (Senior Inclusion Consultant) and Denver (General Manager) of Inclusion Solutions have supported over 50 communities across WA including: Karratha, Port Hedland, Carnarvon, Northam and Esperance, and metro. The session will include Social Inclusion for All – including frameworks, and case studies.
Monday 20th August
0830am - 1530pm