Fundamental Movement Skills Course – Perth
The metro Fundamental Movements Skills workshop was held on Monday 30th April 2018 at ECU Joondalup.
22 delegates attended the workshop, and were involved in a range of theoretical and practical activities in which they learnt how to assess student proficiency in a variety of fundamental movement skills. Participants also learnt how to plan and deliver learning programs to support the FMS.
Janeen Thomsett delivered the workshop. Janeen is a Lecturer for the School of Education in the Faculty of Education and Arts at ECU. Her research interests include self-regulation and links to involvement in organised sport, and development of assessment in Fundamental Movement Skills.
What participants said about the workshop:
- “This was a great workshop and I learnt a lot and feel I walked away with a better understanding of FMS as well as ideas on how to implement into my lessons”
- “I loved the ideas for lessons and assessment, and the verbal que ideas”
- “Janeen is a very good facilitator”
- “what will I put into practice? The specific FMS activities, assessment strategies and rubrics”
- “I will definitely put play stations into practice for effective assessment of FMS at the lower Primary level”
Thank you to ECU for hosting the event.
Want further reading? Below are links to further FMS information or resources
- ACHPER WA resources
- Case Study: Assessing Student Skills Utilising the FMS Books
- Article: How fundamental are fundamental movement skills?
- BLOG: Assessing students’ Fundamental Movement Skills with Kahoots
- BLOG: Learning FMS through differentiated play-based activities